Tuesday, December 31, 2019

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle


48218191. sy475
5 Stars

Love doesn’t require a future.

This is most likely my final review of the year and although I failed by leaving more than 30 books on my “Currently Reading” shelf (which were 100% already read and only left there to serve as reminders of my failure to post things in a timely fashion), I can at least finish up the decade as a rightreader for once and a glowing recommendation for In Five Years when it gets released this Spring.

So here’s a little confession about a movie trope I love but don’t seem to find too often in books: The “WAKE UP WITH A DIFFERENT LIFE.” You know what I’m talking about? You go to sleep and when you wake up you live in a different house with a different spouse with either zero or additional children than what you had when you went to bed and you don’t know how it happened? Lordy be, that is a fave for me.

If you know me, you know I’m not really a blurb reader so the only thing I knew about this before begging endlessly for it requesting it was that it begins with Dannie falling asleep on the eve David proposes to her and when she wakes up . . . .

“It’s 2025, a man I’ve never met is my boyfriend, and I live in Brooklyn.”

I was like . . . . .



Then Dannie actually wakes up and apparently it was only an extremely lucid dream – but one she just can’t seem to shake as she goes on about her life up to the December 15, 2025 date where her future apparently has taken a turn her meticulous life-planning obsession hasn’t quite accounted for.

I’m not going to say much more other than readjust your expectations and don’t go in believing you’re going to get a love story, but rather a life story. I haven’t felt feelings like this since . . . . .



And the fact that Rebecca Serle caused the following to happen . . . . .



Means there’s no way she deserves less than 5 Stars. I avoided The Dinner List when it was released because I just wasn’t sure (still haven’t read that blurb, either). Now I think I probably should check it out.

Endless thanks to Atria and NetGalley for letting me wrap up 2019 with such an excellent story in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment