Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sunburn by Laura Lippman


35231503
4 Stars

“I really would like to get to know you.”

“Trust me, you wouldn’t.”



The gin joint is the “High-Ho” in Belleville, Delaware. The she is Polly. When Polly meets Adam they both claim to be simply passing through town. Somehow they both end up working at the High-Ho. She as a waitress/he as a short order cook. Their attraction to each other is impossible to hide. Who they each truly are appears to be easier to conceal. Someone is pulling a long con. But who?

“Maybe everybody lies, all the time.”

This was noirtastic!!! It’s definitely a story where the less said the better, so save yourself from spoilers. Also be prepared for some characters you will find truly TURRRRRRRIBLE. I won’t blame anyone from wanting to shy away or feeling like they need to put this one down, but if you stick it out to the end EVERYTHING makes sense. Mitchell says that disclaimer doesn’t even make any sense to him because he thought this about Sunburn . . . .



Laura Lippman is a new-to-me author. I'll definitely be checking out more of her stuff in the future.

Many thanks to my favorite curmudgeon for being my book fairy on this one and saving me from the endless library wait list!

No comments:

Post a Comment