Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Fender Lizards by Joe R. Lansdale


25028989
4 Stars

I had some notes highlighted, but I just fired up the ol’ Kindle and poof they aren’t there anymore so Imma have to wing it. I will flat out admit I wanted this one for the title alone – and also because Joe Lansdale stories pretty much equate this for me . . . .


(Too soon? Sorry, Coach K.)

But regarding that title: I mean what is a Fender Lizard and how can I be one? Are they recruiting? Would I have to jump someone in an alley with a shiv to get in? I’m pretty much up for whatever it might take. Luckily I didn’t have to wait long to find out thanks to my Good Buddy Dan and the power of the “lend” feature.

As for the story itself, Lansdale is known for his ability to spin a good coming of age yarn, but in stories that are clearly written for adults. That being said, although I’m fairly comfortable in saying Fender Lizards would NOT probably reside in the Young Adult section of your local bookstore – that is precisely where it should be. Adults like me will happily lap the story up as it dishes up some surefire YES PLEASE! features such as high school dropouts with a daddy who went out for a pack of smokes and never came back and a sister with multiple deadbeat baby daddy and I was just like . . . .



And don’t get offended because those are TOTALLY my people and could probably be most of my relatives.

Also they lived in a place like this . . . .



Which is practically a dare to me to see if I can resist giving it an auto 5 Star rating.

They also worked at a super high-end establishment known as the . . . .



Where they had to do THIS . . . . .



And maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaybe their chance at getting ahead in life would come from winning one of these . . . . .



Not to mention . . . .



To which the answer is: A little bit!!!

Can you hear me squeeing all across the country? Not even sorry.

This was super fun even though I'm an old geezer. If I had a teenage daughter I’d hold her down and sit on her until she finished reading this recommend this one to her.

Thanks again for the lend, Original Dan. You’re one of the good’uns!

No comments:

Post a Comment