Friday, April 13, 2018

Elmet by Fiona Mozley


36276653
4 Stars

It’s only mid-April and I’m already terrifyingly behind on reviews so I’m gonna keep this one short and sweet:

1. I read this because Vivian told me to and I don’t believe she has ever told me to read something before in the history of our friendship.

2. It was a Man Booker Prize shortlister, so it’s a teensie bit smarty farty and the author knows how to words good.

3. You really have to like reading about a place because a bigly chunk of Elmet is spent describing . . . . you guessed it: ELMET.

4. It is NOT set in a trailer park or Appalachia unlike just about every other book I read. Buuuuuuuuuut, on the bright side some of the characters earn their money by means that aren’t quite on the up-and-up and it definitely doesn't fart rainbows and sunshine.

5. The author might be allergic to the word “the” because the lack of it in the dialogue is pretty much the only way you are reminded that these folks are not ‘Muricans.

6. There ain’t a happy ending happenin’ here, kids.

Mitchell thought this one was . . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment