Friday, July 20, 2018

The Girl From Blind River by Gale Massey


36472797
5 Stars

“Follow your heart but always bet your spades.”


It’s been a minute since I've done this, but Gale Massey’s debut novel gets all the Starzzzzzzzzzz.

The Girl From Blind River is the story of Jamie – a girl whose mother went to prison when she was just 10 years old, leaving her and her 9 year old brother Toby to be raised by their uncle Loyal. Now a young adult and out of high school, Jamie dreams of running away and hitting the pro circuit . . . .



All she needs is to cash in on her latest online winnings. When there’s a glitch in the system, Jamie “borrows” a bit of cash from Uncle Loyal and ends up owing him big time. And ol’ Loyal isn’t one to NOT cash in on favors owed to him – especially when it has to do with something as big as what he has to get rid of . . . . .



I knew as soon as I saw my friend Melki’s review that there was a very solid chance this would be a winner for me. When I scored a copy I about wet myself. I can’t believe this is a debut novel and I have absolutely nothing to nitpick. The Girl From Blind River had everything I love: trailer parks, poor folk, murder, cover-ups, family drama, and on and on and on. It was just the gritty type of story I was looking for. You know, something that makes me say . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment