Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Puddin' by Julie Murphy

28269171
3 Stars


“I need you like Oprah needs Gayle.”
2018 is apparently when I break my own rules when it comes to reading since I generally don’t read second offerings, but I’ve done it a couple of times this year and as soon as I heard this was going to be a thing I was all like . . . . .



As the blurb states, Puddin’ is a companion book to Dumplin’. It’s probably not necessary to read that one in order to enjoy this one, but boy oh boy would you be missing out if you didn’t. This go ‘round the focus is on former Miss Clover City beauty pageant contestants Millie Michalchuk . . . .



and Callie Reyes . . . .



This is a story of their unlikely friendship when a prank goes too far and leaves Callie with some community service type of hours at the family-owned gym where Millie works part-time. It’s a sweet little story that teaches a handful of life lessons. Like . . . .



And . . . .



And . . . .


(Ha! That totally doesn’t really say “people” in the movie – look how I keep it all P.G. for you kids *winky face emoji*)

And most importantly . . . .



If you are a fairly liberal-minded parent, I would totally recommend this (and the amazing Willowdean’s story) to upper-middle-grade girls. They need to learn about this stuff BEFORE they get to high school. (Note: There is alluded to sex, but absolutely no detail whatsoever and the girl realizes that she’s worth more than just her looks and locks it down so I thought that was excellent.)

3 Stars because I just wasn’t the target demographic for this one. Buuuuuuuut I’m still completely enamored with Julie Murphy and can’t wait to see what she comes up with next : )         


No comments:

Post a Comment