Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

11408650
3.5 Stars

I spent the majority of this book looking a little something like this . . . .

commercial photography locations

Only with slightly less facial hair. This one is all Jilly’s fault. Mind you, I had heard of this book before it even came out due to the catchy title and, like nearly everyone else, was seriously digging on the cover, but all that couldn’t convince me to read the dang thing. In case it isn’t obvious, I enjoy being distracted by shiny bobbles like gifs while reading reviews and the first one that popped up on Jilly’s was a winner.

Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital with no memory of an event that killed the three friends she had been with. She’s left with a severe case of PTSD that causes blackout style panic attacks and a serious case of . . . . .

commercial photography locations

^^^^That’s code for: “Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy????” Mara’s family decides to move to a new town in order for Mara to get a fresh start and come to terms with what happened. It’s there she meets . . . .

commercial photography locations

a/k/a Jamie and Noah (have no fear, kids, no dumbass love triangle in this one) as well as resident mean girl Anna and her minion.

So what exactly was The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer about???? If I told you I’d have to kill you. I’m still not sure which means it was a great genre bender. Part Mean Girls, part Miriam Black, part love story, part paranormal, part thriller – it had a lil’ bit of something for everyone. The great news is I had a more-than-decent time throughout the entire process even though I had no clue where the book was going or what type of story it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, Mara Dyer as well as her unbecoming falls under the curse of the dreaded book series. While I actually believe this time around there is enough material for more story, I’m not sure I would get so swept up the second time around or remain under the same spell that allowed me to not recognize some of the bits there were sort of a mess. However, I’m not ready to say “never” like I usually do when it comes to number two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment