Friday, September 9, 2016

A Swollen Red Sun by Matthew McBride

21509331
4 Stars

I’m at the point where I’m so far behind that I was prepared to just post a link to Ron 2.0’s review and call it a good day . . . . until I reconfirmed he’s an even bigger slacker than I am and hasn’t posted a review yet either. Great minds slack alike.

I’m suffering from a severe case of old lady brain at the moment and can’t remember what the hell we had all just read that was all hick-a-riffic, but in the course of commentating amongst ourselves on Goodreads both Ron and myself were given marching orders from Shelby (who received hers from Real Dan) that we should probably get to this one pronto.

Per usual, I didn’t bother with a synopsis or reading reviews or anything else once I was informed of the basics . . . .



Pass, but I sure as shit like to read about it!!!!

That’s all it took to get me interested. Now, our recent meth-y types of reads have been a bit on the lighter side (strange, but true). I will say I wasn’t quite prepared for this to put the grit in grit lit. This sucker was B-L-E-A-K, so don’t say I didn’t warn you if you add it to your own TBR. Due to me thinking this was going to be a bit on the lighter side – especially when the catalyst to all of the action was finding a big ol’ wad of cash in a pretty unlikely place . . . .


(^^^^Thanks for the pointer, McBride. If I ever get more than $5 at once I now know where to stash it.)

I also didn’t realize how many different levels there would be before I reached the end of this compact little whopper. What a stank onion of misery and awful was unpeeled . . . . .



On top of having quite a marvelously miserable reading experience (me likey the dark stuff), I confirmed my beliefs about how awful humans are in general and that . . .



And also that there’s nothing quite so satisfying as a well-timed wild boar attack . . . .



Ewwwww, Mitchell! Not that kind of boar attack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment