Friday, September 30, 2016

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel

26135825
2 Stars




Confession time: The only reason I read Fun Home was because it was on the list of most challenged or banned books last year, I had already read more than half of the others on the list and there was a snowball’s chance in hell I’d opt to read The Bible for pleasure.

I had also never heard of Alison Bechdel prior to snatching this one up from the library display (such a badass, right????) and had to Google “The Bechdel Test” to find out WTF it was. And after doing so?????



Yowza. (And please note the irony of my first Bechdel experience being ALLLLLLLLLL about her father – A MAN.)

I’m also someone who can’t help but question the level of narcissism required for a fairly non-famous person (on the scale from obscurity to Kardashian) to think their life story is that which others would want to read. Thus was the case when I was reading this. If you are a bibliophile there is a chance you will get wrapped up in the name dropping of Fitzgerald and Joyce and Hemingway and Salinger, but if you are a not-so-bright schmuck like myself (or especially this week maybe a teenager attempting to push the envelope by reading something that has been challenged), you might find your reaction to be more along these lines . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment