Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Lost In Yonkers by Neil Simon


170539
4 Stars

I’m not one who generally gets real worked up when I hear of a celebrity’s death, but last week when Neil Simon passed away I have to admit I got more than a bit nostalgic. So I did what I do best – went to my best friend the library to see if they had any of Simon’s plays for me to listen to on my drive to and from work. Sadly they only had the one, but hey beggars can’t be choosers, right?

Good news is, while Lost in Yonkers wasn’t what I originally went looking for, it totally did the trick and reminded me of how when I was a kid I was pretty sure I had missed my calling and was really meant to be a born a Jewish boy in post-Depression New York City. There were a whole string of Neil Simon plays/movie adaptations that confirmed my belief, including this one as well as . . . .



and . . . .



However, what I originally sought out wasn’t one of these boyhood comedies, but rather Simon’s less-discussed side – romance. Particularly . . . . .



Though I would have happily settled for . . . .



If you haven’t had the pleasure, I highly recommend checking one out. He gives Nora Ephron a run for her money ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment