Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

6288
4 Stars
 
“On this road there are no godspoke men. They are gone and I am left and they have taken with them the world.”

This is another one of those “100 books you should read before you go to that big ol’ malt shop in the sky” that I attempt to read a couple of every year. For whatever reason there was a huge waiting list at the library and when it finally became my turn to ease on down The Road I discovered Jeff and The Hufflepuff were getting ready for a buddy read. Me being me, I immediately invited myself to join their party, but Jeff was all like . . .

Houston commercial photography

Luckily I’m super strong (or he’s super weak – tomato/tomahto) so I was able to elbow my way right in to the cool kids table. Then I couldn’t stop myself from reading this book in like two hours and proved once again why no one should ever want to buddy up with me. I have a shame : (

The one perk of reading with me is you get Mitchell’s input when it comes to reviews. Jeff has already had the “full Mitchell experience” (if you know what I’m sayin’ *wink wink*) so he allowed Ashley temporary custody this go around – leaving me with Harvey Dent (get it, Two Face? because his face is in two different parts? Ha! I kill me!!!) as this review’s co-host . . .

Houston commercial photography

What better friend to read a book about a lonely trek down a road through a deserted wasteland than a dude who looks like he might have been found on the side of the road in a deserted wasteland, right?

You’re probably beginning to wonder when I’m finally going to start talking about this book, huh? There’s not really much I can say. The Road is a love it or hate it kind of story. Obviously from my rating I fall into the love it category, but I can completely understand how it falls short for many. The setting is . . . well, the road – duh – that extends through a desolate post-apocalyptic 'Murica, but you don’t know how the world got to be that way. Tiny Easter Eggs are left to inform you that the story takes place in the near future, but again no definitive answer. The characters are minimally developed – I’m talking they don’t even have names. The writing is sparse, the situation bleak. And the road? As The Beatles once said, it’s long and winding . . . .

Houston commercial photography

I sat down thinking I would read 50 pages and stop in order to stay on track with my buddies. I had no idea I wouldn’t be able to put this book down. I was drawn in immediately and couldn’t leave the world of the man and the boy until I turned the last page. I’m fairly certain I lost a couple of pounds from all the virtual walking too, so BONUS!

As I said, this is not a book for everyone – but if you’re looking to add to your Pulitzer Prize winners list or want your friends to believe that you are a super genius while they are reading crap, The Road is short and easy to get through. And if you have a phobia of quotation marks? McCarthy’s books might be the only books written especially for you : )

If you really want to be a cheater, apparently this is a movie too – but Viggo Mortensen like this . . .

Houston commercial photography

equals ewww. I prefer this . . .

Houston commercial photography

thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment