Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Deadpool: The Ones With Deadpool by Paul Scheer (Text), Nick Giovannetti (Text), Gerry Duggan (Goodreads Author) (Text), Christopher Hastings (Goodreads Author) (Text), Salva Espin (Illustrations), Scott Kolins (Illustrations), Evan Shaner (Illustrations), Jacopo Camagni (Illustrations)

23017994
5 Stars
 
And then the lion fell in love with the lamb . . . .

Houston commercial photography

. . . or something like that.

For a couple of years now I’ve successfully dodged what I like to call the “Superhero Comic Book Bully Club” while maintaining the stance that if there were ever a superhero for me, it would probably be the Merc with the Mouth. Fart jokes, cursing – let’s face it, we are pretty much kindred spirits.

I finally decided to cave in to the peer pressure, but added the stipulation that I would ONLY read Deadpool in order to satisfy my superhero quota. Since I’m an idiot I didn’t bother reading the synopsis for Deadpool – The Ones with Deadpool when Anne and Jeff suggested this title for our buddy read. (I was too busy pooping my drawers about the fact that my library actually had a comic I was attempting to request.) Imagine my surprise when the selection the bullies picked happened to include EVERY. SINGLE. SUPERHERO. EVER. Okay, well maybe not ever (I mean no one in their right mind wants to read about Aquaman, right?), but seriously the first page . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Well played, buttheads. Well played.

Good thing for them I liked it so I won’t have to send Mitchell on a quest to dismember them. I mean, I really liked it . . . .

Houston commercial photography

The “grab bag of Deadpool” style was most definitely a winner for me.

We begin with “Deadpool Annual #1.” Deadpoool is simply trying to exterminate Daredevil (who doesn’t want to kill some rando lawyer on the daily, right?) when Madcap boops in, things go a bit to the Fear and Loathing side . . .

Houston commercial photography

and I learn about some potential sexytime positions for when I consummate my relationship with Wade Wilson . . .

Houston commercial photography

Next up is “Deadpool Annual #2.” This one is mainly about how Wade wants to be besties with someone other than me . . .

Houston commercial photography

This storyline also featured He Who Shall Not Be Named’s cousin or something-or-other . . .

Houston commercial photography

I stopped paying attention once I found out I was getting cheated on.

The third selection is “Animal Style” (groooowwwwwwwl). Wait, what? Oh yeah. Mitchell just reminded me it was all very Blackfish and that I’m disgusting. Whatevs. Anyway, this one started off with a bit of foreshadowing of what was to come later . . .

Houston commercial photography

*snort* How can anyone not love this guy????

It also featured what I’m sure was Jeff’s favorite moment of the entire collection . . .

Houston commercial photography

Once I got over being super sad about the atrocities of Sea World, I found it to be HILARIOUS. Obviously I’m a glass half full kind of gal . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Which leads us to the grand finale “Death of Wolvervine: Deadpool & Captain America #1.” Per the title, Wolverine is dead and it’s up to Deadpool and Old Man Nebbercracker (or maybe it was Cap’n ‘Murica) to keep it that way . . .

Houston commercial photography

So you win jerks Buddy Readers (view spoiler). If it weren’t for you, I would never have found this back-up plan for if my fantasy of spending happily-ever-after with my first choice fails to pan out . . .

Houston commercial photography
(mucho thanks to Aimee for this family portrait)

My only concern now is that Ryan Reynolds will fart everything up in the movie version (and I hope all of you sickos who think he’s super hot will be forced to watch melty face unmasked Deadpoool!). Also, are there only like three actors in Hollyweird? Once you f*&^ up one superhero movie role, you shouldn’t get to play another one . . .

Houston commercial photography

DON’T EVEN THINK I’M NOT ALSO LOOKING YOU, BATFLECK!!!!!!

Anyway, that’s it. Read this. It’s hilarious and despite what you may have heard from the naysayers, it’s pretty smart too . . .

Houston commercial photography

No comments:

Post a Comment