Friday, July 31, 2015

Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette (Illustrator), Marco Rudy (Illustrator), Victor Ibañez (Illustrator), Sean Parsons (Illustrator), Michel Lacombe (Illustrator)

13227866
3 Stars
 
So allllll of the Shallow Comic Book Readers who have read this gave it 4 Stars . . .

Houston commercial photography

(Even Sam and he hates everything.) I didn’t not like it, I was just kind of . . .

Houston commercial photography

(^^^^Look at me! What a P.I.M.P. I got 99 problems and finding the graphic novels I want to read at my library is definitely one.)

I am admittedly not a superhero comic reader fan (which Jeff is well aware of), so when I started Raise Them Bones and found this . . . .

Houston commercial photography

happening on the second page I was concerned I’d have to go kick some ass. Turns out those fellas were just making a cameo appearance, though, and I didn’t have to kill Jeff after all too bad.

Alec Holland is reborn as a man, but is haunted by vague memories of his time as the Swamp Thing. While attempting to get back to some semblance of a normal life he is continually called by “The Green” and is haunted by images of a white-haired woman. When said woman appears, it is to enlist Holland’s help in stopping a terrifying bubble boy . . .

Houston commercial photography

Yep, you heard me right. A terrifying bubble boy who has the ability to raise an army of the dead. It’s up to Holland to figure out if he should help this mysterious woman from his past or listen to the advice of the Parliament of Trees instead . . .

Houston commercial photography

This was a good start (hence the 3 Stars – 3 = good). My problem was that basically this was merely a reintroduction to Swamp Thing and not a whole lot happened. I am well aware that this is my problem since I am a comic newbie. I’m cool with this kind of “story without really being a full story” thing when it’s a library book (as was the case here), but if I had shelled out my hard-earned cash I would have been pretty bummed. Those dollar bills don’t just stuff themselves in my underdrawers, ya know?!?!?!?!

Anyway, assuming my library actually obtains Volume 2, I would most definitely be down for reading it. Raise Them Bones was a solid start, Snyder is Snyder and knows how to write, the artwork was pretty phenomenal throughout . . .

Houston commercial photography

heck even Mitchell’s cousin Bruce had a panel or three . . .

Houston commercial photography

which all made for some fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment