Sunday, April 5, 2015

Seven Sons by Lilli St. Germain

18751827
2 Stars
 
"Who are you?" he splutters, holding his chest.

"My name is Juliette," I whisper, "and you just got fucked."


Remember when your mom used to say, "if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Well, I think the definitive answer for me is yes. Yes, I absolutely would . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Alright, so it's not the actual bridge, but I'm scared of heights so cut me some slack.

WARNING: SPOILERY-ISH

I picked this up due to both Casey and Kat reading the entire series recently and having pretty polar opposite reactions. Since the first one was free, I figured what the hell, clicked the button, and intended to not really read it any time soon. But then Mother Nature tried to murder me, and I discovered that I could get drunk FOR CHARITY . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

and I figured maybe the alcohol would flush all of the pollen out of my system since nothing else was working. I also figured it would be a good time to read something like Seven Sons . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

I don't know if "revenge" stories are suddenly the rage or what, but this is the third one I've read recently and I really kinda like 'em. Don't worry, I already warned my husband not to scorn me. Seven Sons began with the typical set-up - the MC (Juliette) had her ..... uhhhhh "innocence" stolen when she was 15. In Juliette's case it was by six of Dornan Ross' seven sons and then he murdered her father as the icing on the cake. Why? To become the leader of the . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Okay, it's actually called the Gypsy Brothers, but that's close enough. Six years have gone by, Juliette has made herself unrecognizable to her enemies, and now goes by the name of Sammi. It's her plan to infiltrate the club and seek revenge on all who did her wrong.

In case you haven't already figured it out. This is a dark story. If things like rape or drug use or violence bother you, it's totally cool to add this to a never want type of list. I've said before, I have zero triggers and I kind of enjoy these stories where the girl gets to go all stabby stabby on her perpetrators.

Dallas Commercial Photography

Now to explain the low rating. Here's the deal. If I know a story is going to be dark and twisted and whathaveyou, I want it to be really dark and twisted and whathaveyou. I wanted Juliette/Sammi to find her way into the motorcycle club and then . . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

I even expected that she might have to make the sexytimes with her enemies in order to gain their trust. What I didn't expect was the bullshit of Juliette/Sammi's "body betraying her" and her having much O Face with the dude who murdered her father and then allowed all of his children to rape her. I don't give a shit if the guy looks like this . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Your body is not going to react in a positive way without your brain being cool with it. Grrrrrrr.

Then you add in the "romance." The synopsis explained to me that there was an additional brother who was soooooo different from all of the brothers and didn't partake in the rape because he's just not like them . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Blah, blah, blah. I assume this is to keep the non-psychos (a/k/a people not like me) reading. And maybe I would have kept reading even with the super obvious HEA that would eventually come if it weren't for a couple of things. #1: When Juliette/Sammi finally goes after brother #1, does she cut his wiener off and jam it down his throat like she should? Nope. She slips him something in an energy drink to maybe make him have a heart attack. BORING! I knew this ended in a cliffhanger, I just wanted one like this . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

And #2: I know it's not my place to say how much an author should charge for a story, but it is my place to determine if I'm willing to buy it. In order to finish this series I would have to drop SIXTEEN dollars. There's no way that's going to happen. I don't believe there's enough material to keep things interesting for six more books, for one thing, and I read a book a day so I can't allow my one-clickery addiction to even contemplate sliding down a slippery slope like buying these after I was less-than-thrilled by Book #1. No offense to Ms. St. Germain - you write well and I'll be interested in seeing what else you come up with now that this series is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment