Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Dog by Bruce McAllister

24467126
4 Stars
 
“Watch the dogs when you’re down there, David. They’re not like the dogs here.”

Dallas Commercial Photography

That’s no joke, folks. Jennifer and David are free spirited newlyweds who jump at the opportunity to become teachers just South of the Mexican border. When the couple decide to take a few days off in order to peruse the local flora and fauna, they find a bit more than they were looking for.

When I first saw this story was about the Chichimeca or “dog people” I immediately thought of this . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

but then I remembered it was on tor.com instead of a fanfic site, so I consoled my sad little brain and reminded it that stuff like this . . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

is good too.

Dog was a fairly excellent little creeper. Being that it’s so super short I won’t give anything away. I’ll just say there’s a good chance you might want to reconsider your stance if you are a dog person. That is, until you start reading and you feel some creeper being particularly derpy behind you . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

or obtain photographic evidence of how he is willing to sacrifice life and limb in order to pull off a kamikaze sneak attack on whoever dares come down the steps . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Maybe he’s part evil dog????? Oh well, at least his butt makes a good pillow for the non-devil cat . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

I have to give props to karen for her tor.com reviews. I’ve been very vocal of not being a fan of the short story, but I’m slowly coming to the realization that I do appreciate a good short. My complaints stem more from my experience of not enjoying collections of short stories by the same author being thrown together and published as one book or a $2.99 Kindle price point for something that is only 10 or 20 pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment