Friday, January 6, 2017

Bossman by Vi Keeland


31140847
3 Stars

On Wednesday night it snowed a couple of inches and even though I live in flyover country where this is a regular occurrence multiple times each winter, for some reason the powers that be decided not to put the plows on the road and school ended up cancelled. Since I’m deserving of employee of the year I had just rolled over an entire week of vacay and decided to say fuck it to my commute and stay home with my little chitlins and pretty much look like this . . . .



Except, you know, with a book instead of a movie.

I put myself on the waiting list for Bossman after seeing Val’s review back in November. Well, to be completely honest I put myself on the wait list for the cover alone, but that makes me sound like a total whore and I’m just kinda a whore so we’ll go with Val’s review as the reason instead.

Anyway, this one was just alright for me, but PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF YOUR TO READ JUST BECAUSE I’M A JERKWAD. This story just had some things that didn’t work for me. But first, let’s talk about the good stuff.

#1. Normal names – Reece and Chase. Kudos to you, Vi Keeland, for not trying to win the most ridiculous names ever named award.

#2. The cat. What can I say, I’m a sucker for cats. Especially ones like this . . . .



#3. I often gripe that I want to cast the male lead in my own head without suggestions from the author, but since it’s a woman’s right to change her mind let me say the exception is when Josh Duhamel is the choice. 99.99999999% of the time when I read about a 6 foot something dude with “stylishly messy” brown hair I’m already thinking of Duhamel. And when the author is kind enough to have the leading lady say she was fantasizing about said leading male chopping down trees in order to build a fire at his cabin in the woods I say praise Jeebus . . . .



#4. Slow rolling just enough. The duo didn't make the beast with two backs until about the halfway mark and that was awesome because instalove only works for me some of the time and it wouldn’t have in this story.

#5. To go along with #2, the build up and flirtation was on point. I didn’t mind the fact that Reese was hired to work for Chase’s company since he wasn’t her direct boss and the cat and mouse moments were a lot of fun . . . .

“You’re going to kick ass in the interview and get hired, then I’m going to try to get in your pants, and you’re not going to let me.”

#6. When she finally did let him . . . .

“I’ll be right back.” He disappeared for a moment and then returned with his wallet, pulling out a strip of condoms and tossing them on the nightstand. I eyed them. “Big plans?” He started to undress. “You have no fucking idea.”



But like I said, there were other things I didn’t enjoy.

#1. The dead girlfriend trope. I’m just not a fan.

#2. Bossman had a nipple ring. Again, plenty of other people seem to think this is super smexy, but my reaction is pretty much . . . .



#3. Chase becoming a dirty talker. Like filthy dirty talker. He was kind of a Sensitive Sally so talking about “fillin’ her up” and “owning her ass” made me all . . . .



#4. This is petty, but since I live here I’m allowed to get annoyed. Dear Authors, if you are going to reference a city take 17 seconds and Google the fucking city. I realize it’s flyover land, but the airport is in Missouri, NOT Kansas and the idea of “dropping by” a Wizard of Oz museum (which, why the fuck would anyone in their right mind ever want to do that to begin with) that even I had to look up and find is TWO HOURS the other direction of the goddamn airport is irritating. Seriously . . . . .



Obviously all of my gripes might not even fall on your radar. As for me? I’ll just add this to my list of excuses of ways to avoid nocturnal shenanigans . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment