Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Loner by Teddy Wayne


27276325
2.5 Stars

Real quick like – this is the story of David Federline’s first year at Haaaaaavaaaaaaaad. David’s always been a real brainiac, so grades won’t be a problem. It’s the social aspect he might have trouble with. But when he sees Veronica Morgan Wells at a freshman mixer he knows his luck is about to change. He just needs to figure out how to get close to her . . . .

Oh Loner, you really missed the mark for me. I know several people who have read/reviewed this and mentioned how it made them feel like they needed a shower due to being squicked out, but really . . . .



I looooooooooooove stories with unlovable leading characters. Until recently I thought there were two categories when it came to books that focus on the bad guys. Crazy mah fahs like that you hate to love . . . .



Or crazy mah fahs that you love to hate . . . .



Well, I meant more like the kind of guy Herman Koch is good at writing, but hey that works too.

A couple of years ago a character came into my life and turned things completely upside down. That character was Joe from You . . . .



Joe made nearly all of my friends question their sanity cross their fingers that the nutcase would get the girl. David, on the other hand????



He reminded me of Holden Caulfield and I straight up wanted to punch his stupid little face. The narration didn’t help either. I already knew I was going to be reading about a creepy little stalker, but I do okay comparing apples to similar apples and figured both You as well as Loner could tickle my fancy. That is, until the narration went from first person to second person and it seemed like Loner was a pretty terrible copy of the original. 2.5 Stars because it super short and had one unexpected twist which led to a moment of . . . .



Unfortunately, it turned out to be just what you’d expect out of someone like Brock Turner a sociopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment