Monday, October 23, 2017

The Bourbon Kings by J.R. Ward


23355896
4 Stars

Be forewarned. This review????



For approximately 152,847 years my GR friends have been trying to get me to read The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Since I am terrified of all of my friends here I’ve stayed far far away so they won’t hurt me if I hate it (I have already failed them once with Darkfever). This one popped up on the library’s “recommended you to since it’s been a minute since you read some trash” window and I took the bait like a good little fish. And let me tell you, things went swimmingly (see what I did there?).

There’s a chance you have to be a dinosaur to truly appreciate the beauty of this epic family tale. Lucky for me I was born in the Mesozoic Era! When I was a wee little girl my most favorite thing to do on Friday nights was have a sleepover at my Grandma and Grandpa’s house where we would all gather ‘round the ginormous 19 inch television set in order to watch . . . .



I dreamed of the day when I would be able to kick the dust off of my smalltown life and get whisked away to a place like Southfork in order to rule the place with an iron fist like I just knew I was destined to do. And while the Bradford family made their money in bourbon rather than oil, this was just as delicious as my old favorite primetime soap and I ate the damn thing right up. So much so that I was practically screaming down the hallway about how much fun I was having during my lunch hour while I was reading it. Of course, since 99% of the people around me are fetuses, their reaction was sort of like . . . .



If you grew up on the guilty pleasures which were Dallas or Dynasty or Falcon Crest or Knot’s Landing, there’s a solid chance this might work for you too. It had all of the money, the sex, the secrets and the dialogue those provided. Stuff like . . .

“You are a bastard.”

“Not according to the dictionary. My parents were well and truly married when I was conceived.” He cocked a brow. “Which I don’t believe you can say about your own daughter, can you.”


Really, the only thing it needed more of was this . . . .



There is a solid chance that I’ll return to this series for the next book. I mean I just have to know what the deal is with Max, right? And Edward. Poor broken Edward. This whole damn family, man . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment