Thursday, October 5, 2017

Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo

29150895
4 Stars

Y’all might as well just leave this space and go read Alissa’s review because she’s the only reason I even heard of Raymie Nightingale in the first place. I don’t read a lot of middle-grade stuff – mainly because my kids have pretty much outgrown it and I have no clue how to find the good ones. That’s what Goodreads is for! The story here is of three little girls who meet at baton twirling lessons they are taking in order to compete in the Little Miss Central Florida Tire pageant. Each are there for a different reason: one just knows if she wins, here daddy will come back home; one needs to win in order to keep herself out of the county home; and the other plans to sabotage the whole shebang. The end result is a tale of three little girls learning some hard truths about how the world operates, but told with tact while wearing kid gloves as to not scare the bejeesus out of young readers.

Alissa said this reminded her of Little Miss Sunshine, which I know I saw but don’t remember much of. (Wasn’t that the one where Steve Carrell wants to kill himself??? Maybe not. I do have old lady brains.) It reminded me of what might have happened in this story . . . .



If less time would have been focused on Sandra Bullock banging Harry Connick, Jr. (not that there’s anything wrong with that), and more time spent with Bernice. Hey Erica, do you know who played little Bernice????



The girl who starred in The D.U.F.F. (YOUR FAVORITE!!!!) when she got older : )

No comments:

Post a Comment