Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Barrier by Brian K. Vaughan

28054517
4 Stars
 
WARNING: SPOILY BECAUSE I SUCK AT REVIEWING GRAPHIC NOVELS AND THIS ONE WAS PRETTY MUCH JUST A TEASER OF WHAT’S TO COME AND I’M AN OVERSHARER SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK
We first meet Liddy out on the range in the sweltering Texas heat. It seems someone or something decided to leave her a little message . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

But who was it? The mob? El chupacabra????

Palm Springs commercial photography
(Sidenote: If you have not yet partaken in the soon-to-be-classic Chupacabra vs. The Alamo, you don’t know what you’re missing)

Immigrants???

Palm Springs commercial photography

Or something even more nefarious????

Palm Springs commercial photography

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Barrier then takes us to Honduras where we are introduced to Oscar. I no habla Español, so it’s probably a good thing this was a pitcherbook and I could still figure out what was going on. Stuff like Coyotes need to learn a little about acceptance . . .



and are selfish bastards who don’t even bother considering how amazing this guy would look next to Mitchell . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

We get hints of Liddy’s past and that she’s willing to do anything in order to save her land.

Now, I’m not art aficionado, but I know what I like and I liked this okay. I especially appreciated the split screens showing what Liddy/Oscar were doing at various points in time. Spoiler alert: Oscar’s stuff went a lil’ sumthin’ like this . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography
(Do people seriously find him attractive? Really?????)

While Liddy’s was more like . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

With a special surprise contained in one of the panels *wink*.

And then stuff and things happened and HOLY SHIT WHEN DOES THE NEXT ONE COME OUT BECAUSE I WILL SERIOUSLY JUST PULL A MOTHER-F’ING TINA BELCHER IF IT ISN’T SOON . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

This was really good. I have excite for future volumes. I’m also seriously digging Vaughan continually coming out with kickass female leads after taking flak and being labeled a sexist with Y. Suck it, haters!

Many thanks to my pal Sam for putting this little nugget on my radar. Go read his review and give him a “like” – he even shares the link for you to get yourself a copy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment