Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

13312527
4 Stars
 
“Can I be your favorite girl?”

“You already are, Duchess.”

Dear Tarryn Fisher:

Chicago commercial photographers

It doesn’t have to be a snowman. Really, it doesn’t. We can just sit around and you can remind me that there are people who are even more f*&^ed up than I am while I braid your hair.

WARNING: If you like your romance fluffy with a HEA you best get to steppin’. However, if you are like me and like your “romance” with a twist of obsession and zero squicky sex scenes, The Opportunist is a good choice.

Let’s start at the beginning, shall we? Olivia met Caleb in college. She was the prude – he was the playboy . . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

When Caleb set his sights on Olivia, she figured it was simply to be another notch on his bedpost, but a friendly wager led to one date . . .

“Olivia?”

“What?” I snapped.

“I’m going to kiss you. Just so you know.”


Chicago commercial photographers
#sploosh

which eventually led to some uhhhhh, not so okay behavior . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

WRONG! Mitchell and I love unhealthy weirdies!

Fast-forward to the present where Olivia and Caleb’s paths cross once again. This time it’s different. Mainly because Caleb has a case of accident-induced amnesia, but Olivia ain’t ‘bout to look that gift-horse in the mouth so she decides she’ll take what she can get while she can get it and once his memory returns she’ll go back to being a broken-hearted shell of her former self . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

Ahhhhhh, tainted love. Momma likey.

The story does the wibbly wobbly from past to present in order to fill in the missing details. You know, minor things like current fiancés.

And then? It ends with a motherf*&^ing open ending! Thank Tom Cruise I had already been forewarned or I probably would have cut a bitch. However, it was an open ending that I could have been satisfied leaving as is had I not become totally invested in hearing “Big Red’s” story come Part 2. This is why I try not to get all . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

when it comes to my practice of not reading past #1 in a series. While I do normally avoid the second (and especially third) book, sometimes I get sucked right in to the dang things and can’t stop myself from wanting moremoremore.

No comments:

Post a Comment