Monday, January 12, 2015

Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky

20873172
4 Stars
 
Gracefully Grayson approaches the transgender issue with sheer grace. A middle-grade story that is truly middle-grade. There is no foul language, no sex, no romance, just the story of Grayson Sender – a 12-year old boy who looks in the mirror until he can see the reflection of the girl he really knows is inside of him.

What an important little book this was. In a day and age where young people are stepping into oncoming traffic because they aren’t accepted for who they are and 8-year olds are being belittled for daring to walk the red carpet in a suit rather than a dress, Grayson’s story is one that needs to be told. I encourage parents and children alike to read this story.

I find myself at a loss for words. Thinking too hard about the struggles of young people just makes me sad . . . and it’s a Monday so I’m sad enough in general already ; ) Instead I’ll let Mr. Feeny do the talking . . .

Commercial Photography

Thank heaven for teachers who overstep their boundaries when parents aren’t willing to deal with hard issues. I’m pretty sure Grayson would agree.

If you or a young person you know is LGBT and thinking about suicide, please call The Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386, or the Trans Lifeline at 1-877-565-8860.

2 comments: