Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Doll Bones by Holly Black

15944406
4 Stars
 
I read Doll Bones a couple of weeks ago, but then life got in the way as it sometimes does and I didn’t ever get around to writing a review. BUUUUUUUUUT! I remembered I had not yet reviewed it and made sure to do an “auto renewal” of my library book in order to save all the highlighting and notes about the story that were contained on my Kindle. And then I received notice that my auto renewal failed, but the book was still available for me to re-download (without all of my noted info). *insert sad face*

Commercial Photography

Yeah, library, why?

Commercial Photography

Have I not cooperated with you and read a couple of seriously pukeable romance suggestions in order to pass your Winter Reading Challenge? Why you gotta be so rude????

Commercial Photography

So yeah, this sucks and you’re just going to have to believe me when I say if you have a young’un (this is noted as a “middle grade” story, but if your kid’s reading level is high enough I’d really recommend it more for the higher elementary grades myself) I recommend this one.

Doll Bones is about three friends (Zach, Poppy and Alice) who have spent their childhood imagining a world of fantasy and adventure starring their action figures – all of whom are overseen by the “Queen.” The Queen is an antique doll who holds all the answers to where the adventures will lead the toys, but who is in a locked cabinet and therefor can never tell the trio her secrets. When Zach’s father decides Zach is too old to be playing make-believe and throws away his old toys, Poppy breaks the Queen from her cabinet in hopes it will lure him back to the game. What happens instead is Poppy finds herself haunted by the true story behind the bone china which created the doll and insists Alice and Zach help return the Queen to the cemetery where she was supposed to be buried.

If your kids are anything like mine and have enjoyed coming of age stories like . . .

Commercial Photography

or . . .

Commercial Photography

They should find Doll Bones an absorbingly quick read. There’s a good chance you parents might even like this one too. Highly entertaining with just enough creepiness to add some thrills to the story, but not to scare the pants off the little ones. Who couldn’t use a little more adventure in their life?

Commercial Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment