Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison


5 Stars - Read May 1, 2013

Benjamin Benjamin (yeah, that's really his name - but trust me it's the ONLY part of this book that sucks) has lost his family, has no job and is out of money.  Desperate times force him to enroll in "The Fundamentals of Caregiving" class where he will learn to be an in-home health aid (emphasis on the healthcare and absolutely NO emotional connection allowed).  Ben gets assigned to assist 19 year old Trevor who has a rare form of MD and a short life expectancy.  That doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot of life to live, however.  Ben and Trevor set off on the male version of a "Thelma and Louise" road trip where they meet new friends, make some enemies and are stalked by a mystery man driving a Buick Skylark.

Oh how I loved this book.  One of the best I've read all year.  I actually dreaded finishing this one because I just wanted MORE MORE MORE.  It broke my heart and then it took masking tape and chewed bubble gum and pasted it all back together again.  I want to jump in my car, drive to the Pacific Northwest and pop in for a visit with Ben and Trevor just to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment