Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Lie To Me by J.T. Ellison


33258453
3 Stars


Hey guys – are you looking for the next . . . .



If so, this one kinda actually fits the comparison since it’s about a man who wakes up only to discover his wife is not in bed. Turns out she isn’t in the kitchen dutifully making his breakfast either, which in my house would probably earn him a . . . .



Or, at minimum . . . .



So what is the story? Did Sutton finally have enough of Ethan’s shenanigans and come to the realization that . . . .



Or did something nefarious happen?

Okay, so Lie To Me definitely wasn’t terrible. I enjoyed Gone Girl so this one having a bit of the same vibe was A-okay for me. It was quite the page turner and I can’t say I ever lost interest despite it being a bit lengthier than most domestic thrillers. The thing that lost me? All the “twists and turns.” Unfortunately I saw all of them coming from about a block and a half away, excluding the one on the very last page and that one left me feeling . . . . .



It was just too much. And I’m still not positive it makes sense when it comes to all the other things that happened in the book. But I probably just read it wrong.

The part that I absolutely read right (and the reason this gets a full 3 Stars rather than 2.5) was the “Badly Behaving Author” subplot. Ripped straight out of the pages of Goodreads (or True Reads or some such that I can’t remember because I forgot to highlight the name used in this book and I have old lady brain and now the library copy has expired), many of you will recognize the similarities to an actual event that took place here around four years ago when an author not only responded to a 1 Star review, but ended up at the reviewer’s doorstep. In my fantasy world J.T. Ellison is a pen name for that author – especially when I got to the part that (view spoiler) It doesn’t appear that’s the case, but it didn’t make that part of the story less enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment