Friday, August 26, 2016

Girls On Fire by Robin Wasserman

26074200
2.5 Stars

Hannah Dexter has lived in the same small town her entire life. As her father so eloquently puts it . . .

“You couldn’t shit your own bed in Battle Creek without your neighbor showing up to wipe your ass.”

The story takes place when the Real World was the hottest thing on television and Sun-In rather than Kool-Aid was a way for teens to change their hair color. It was a time when boy bands like this were popular . . . .


(I should be ashamed of myself for having spent my hard earned dollars on this cassette.)

Some things were still the same, however . . . .

commercial photography locations

That is, until the new girl came to school . . .

“Lacy Champlain had a stripper’s name and a trucker’s wardrobe, all flannel shirts and clomping boots that – stranded as we were in what Lacey later called the butt crack of western Pennsylvania – we didn’t yet recognize as a pledge of allegiance to grunge.”

Lacy takes Hannah – or Dex as Lacy renames her – under her wing and shows her the wilder side of life . . . . maybe too wild for everyone to come out unscathed.

After reading this I have now discovered there may be only two kinds of people in this world – those who love Kurt Cobain and those who think that only good thing that ever came out of Nirvana was this guy . . . .

commercial photography locations

There was a lot of focus on ol’ Kurt and I am just not a fan . . .



I know I know. Girls On Fire also suffered from the same overwriting that made me dislike The Girls so much . . . .

“I loved it. Loved it like Shakespearean sonnets and Hallmark cards and all that shit, like I wanted to buy it flowers and light it candles and fuck it gently with a chainsaw.”



In fact, the only thing I enjoyed was the “mean girl” - which I realize should not happen, but . . .

“She never gave a shit about you. All that energy you put into hating her, and still you were nothing to her.”

^^^^^YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I don’t know. I just was not feeling this one at all. I’d say I read it wrong, per usual, but since I actually was a teenager during the 90s so zero of the references were lost on me as well as the fact that I farking looooooove every teenage girl book written by Megan Abbott which this was supposed to be comparable to I’m not willing to take all the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment