Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

21936809
3 Stars
 
Hey guys, I just read the next Gone Girl!!!! Nah, just kidding. This one was actually a retelling of an oldie . . .

Houston commercial photography

which I didn’t even realize was a book. Some booknerd I am, huh? Anywho, to me there is no greater timesuck than a Hitchcock movie marathon and Strangers on a Train is one of my all-time faves.

At the airport bar before a trans-Atlantic flight, Ted meets Lily. After having one too many cocktails, Ted starts dropping truthbombs about his gold-digger of a wife who has been spending her time boffing the contractor who is building their new McMansion. Lily offers Ted a sympathetic ear followed by a solution to Ted’s problems – kill the wife . . .

“I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”

Plans change, however, when . . . .

Houston commercial photography

happen.

Good news is, my lack of enjoyment of The Kind Worth Killing was probably more my fault than the book’s. It has received high marks and great praise from nearly all of my friends here on Goodreads (Snotchocheez, I stand with you in solidarity!!!). I also found this story to be WAAAAAY more unpredictable than the overhyped The Girl on the Train. That being said, I still didn’t love it.

Being a fan of the Hitchcock classic, I got sucked in right away to the idea of this story and anxiously awaited some of this . . .

Houston commercial photography

Unfortunately, the action got bogged down with a lot of this . . .

Houston commercial photography

Seriously. So much driving! Driving. Notating the various landmarks passed. More driving. Driving there. Driving back. Driving, driving, driving! Think I’m kidding????

“From Storrow Drive I got onto Soldiers Field Road, then wound may way through Waltham and Newton till I found Boston Post Road, and headed west through the suburbs toward Winslow.”

Houston commercial photography

Right when I was getting ready to scream out of frustration . . .

Houston commercial photography

Getting me all excited once again. Sadly it wasn’t for long due to the format of the second half of the book . . .

Houston commercial photography

Yep. Right when I got my hopes up the writing style changed and began detailing a scene from one narrator’s perspective, then rewinding it and re-telling it from another narrator’s perspective (and often times rewinding it yet again to tell it from one more person’s point of view). #snore

But like I said, everyone else seems to really love it so I probably just read it wrong : )

No comments:

Post a Comment