Friday, June 26, 2015

The Darkness: Origins Volume 1 by Garth Ennis, Marc Silvestri and David Wohl

6490285
3 Stars
 
Many of you are probably already familiar with my tales of woe regarding the selection of graphic novels through my library systems (yes SYSTEMS plural – two different metro libraries and neither of them stock many pitcherbooks). Due to the slim to nil variety, I kind of grab whatever is available without knowing anything about what I’m choosing. The Darkness was chosen simply because I’m familiar with the name Garth Ennis. I offered this up as a potential buddy read with my pal Jeff, but he is on an anti-Ennis kick after shitting his pants reading Crossed. You missed out, Sucka! This was your type of graphic novel – filled with . . .

Houston commercial photography

Now I’m not necessarily opposed to scantily clad women . . . or boobs in general, but all these chicks were there for was for . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Yeah, yeah, I hear you: “So what’s wrong with that?!?!?!?!”Nothing, except when the bad guy is really supposed to be a badass bitch I don’t want her getting all emo over her harem.

I also wasn’t a huge fan of the MC. Jackie Estacado is supposed to be a real panty dropper. I mean, he takes of “problems” for his uncle . . .

Houston commercial photography

and is a huge ladies man who knocks boots with a different broad he picks up at “da club” every night. The problem for me was, I couldn’t get this image out of my mind whenever he was picking up a new one-nighter . . .

Houston commercial photography

The Darkness wasn’t all bad, though. I enjoyed having an “origins” volume that actually provided some origins and I love anti-heroes rather than hero heroes. The twist that went along with Jackie’s power made me LOL . . .

Houston commercial photography

And there were also some interesting friends that accompanied his new gift . . .

Houston commercial photography

Oh, and the artwork? No complaints . . .

Houston commercial photography

Well, except for all of the aforementioned boobs ; )

All in all, not a horrible debut but probably not one that I’ll go out of my way to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment