Tuesday, June 9, 2015

American Vampire by Scott Snyder and Stephen King (art by Rafael Albuquerque)

7619398
4 Stars
 
What happens when good ol’ Uncle Stevie gets sick and tired of the “sweetie vamp craze?” Well, vampires go from this . . .

Houston commercial photography

to something a little more like this . . .

Houston commercial photography

American Vampire kind of fell into my lap by accident. I went to the library’s website looking for Wytches - which of course they didn’t have. However, my temper tantrum was quickly interrupted when I focused in on the word VAMPIRE!!! so I requested this instead.

While this selection wasn’t able to seal the deal of the “anything you can do I can do better” between King and his son Joe Hill (sorry Steve, but your baby boy writes a damn good graphic novel), it was a solid beginning.

American Vampire runs a dual narrative – Snyder’s half tells of a young aspiring actress named Pearl in the 1920s who should have opted to not RSVP to a certain party . . .

Houston commercial photography

The story then goes all . . .

Houston commercial photography

back to the wild west where Stephen King introduces us to main character number two. If you’re a fan of a certain fella . . .

Houston commercial photography

Skinner Sweet will probably be right up your alley . . .

Houston commercial photography

I’m telling you, this guy is A – W – E – S – O – M – E . . .

Houston commercial photography

I realize I may lose my Constant Reader status for being completely unaware that American Vampire even existed, but I’m willing to do penance . . . in the form of reading the next volumes in this series. Come on library, mach schnell with getting me the stories of Vegas in the 30s and the great war of the 40s! 

No comments:

Post a Comment