Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Goldfinch
5 Stars
 
I read The Goldfinch over six months ago, but failed to ever write a review. What can I even say? I mean the damn thing won the PULITZER for crying out loud - there's not a whole lot my shitty little review can do to either undercut or validate that kind of prestige.

So, what am I left with? I guess I'll address the complaints. Yes, The Goldfinch contains about eleven billion four hundred twenty-seven pages. Ms. Tartt is most definitely a fan of words. If you don't like long books, I can't guaranty you'll like this one just because of its award-winning status. Yes, The Goldfinch is not bambambambambam when it comes to action. There are lulls in the storyline . . . but when I think about which parts should have been culled from the novel, I can't name a one. Everything that happens does so for a reason - you just have to read the whole thing to figure it out. And finally, yes the characters are really not sympathetic. If you enjoy development that makes you fall in love with the main characters, this (once again) probably will not be your bag. I, however, love a good unlikeable character and lucky for me The Goldfinch was full of them.

Bottom line is, I'm not so brave as to recommend this to really any one. All I can say is that I'm glad I decided to not be intimidated either by the size or the fact that the author was unknown to me and give it a shot. I'm also EXTREMELY thankful I never dropped this one on my little toe ; )

Hey, looky there. I wrote an entire review with no .gifs. I'm super legit now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment