Sunday, November 30, 2014

Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman

10447621
4 Stars
 
"Call me by your name, and I'll call you by mine."
Commercial Photography

If you want to read a real review (you know, one that actually has some quality to it), I recommend clicking over to Nick or Julio's instead of this one.

Still here? Don't say I didn't warn you.

Call Me By Your Name is the story of an all-encompassing love affair between a teenaged boy and an older guest who is spending the summer at his family's home. For Elio, this is a time of exploration and acknowledgment of never-before-felt emotions and attraction. For Oliver, it is a time of attempting to stave off his desires of what he realizes should be left as a mutual infatuation. For both it will be a life-altering few weeks which will change their lives forever.

I'm not too hard to please when it comes to books - I read every genre and I don't require Pulitzer quality writing in order for me to enjoy a story - but this writing???? Swoon worthy . . .

"All I prayed for was for time to stop. Let summer never end, let him never go away, let the music on perpetual replay play forever, I'm asking for very little, and I swear I'll ask for nothing more."

I wanted to chew up every word and digest it. I found myself slowing down in order to make my reading experience last longer . . . and that rarely happens for me.

I'm not a huge fan of traditional "romance" novels - sure I like the occasional RomCom or piece of fluffy nothing to read by the pool - but I prefer my love stories to have a bit of heartbreak and a lot of substance if I can find it. Nick and Julio's linked reviews above turned me on to Call Me By Your Name and, lucky for me, the story did not disappoint. I expected a "decent" book with some depth, but didn't expect was to be blown out of the water. If you're looking for something hot and steamy, this probably is not the story for you . . . but if you're looking for intense, raw emotion that will leave your psyche bruised and battered by the last page, this is a winner.

And, speaking as a not-quite-young, married, straight lady - Call Me By Your Name is a tale that proves . . .

Commercial Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment