Monday, January 20, 2014

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

5 Stars
 
I have been hesitant to re-read any more of the “classics” since my second go ‘round with A Separate Peace and The Catcher in the Rye. Boy to have a take-backsies on those and maintain my memory of them being such great works of art. Hindsight is truly 20/20 at times. With the release of the new Gatsby movie and the subsequent purchase of said DVD, I added the book back to the never-ending TBR and promptly decided to never watch the film until I read the book again. Ohhhhhhh, would the memories and fondness for my ill-fated Jay live up to my high school expectations???? Or would yet another classic somehow morph into a waste of time when given a second chance?

I can’t tell you how pleased I am to say that The Great Gatsby is a novel that really stands the test of time (and old age). The story of Jay and Daisy is still just as haunting and tragic as it was 20 (the number is not important ) years ago. I’m so glad I spent an afternoon revisiting this book and I’m equally glad that I can now watch the DVD that has been collecting dust for several months.


No comments:

Post a Comment