Saturday, January 11, 2014

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

 
3.5 Stars
 
Molly is a troubled girl who has been bounced around in the foster care system for most of her life.  Only a few months away from aging out of the system, Molly makes a mistake that has a punishment of 50 hours of community service or being sent to a juvenile detention facility.  With the help of her boyfriend, Molly finds herself cleaning out Vivian’s attic as a way to pay for her crime.  Little do Molly and Vivian know how much these 50 hours will change both of their lives, or just how much they have in common.
 
Book clubby books are generally not my cup of tea – and let me tell you Orphan Train is sure to be read by gazillions of book clubs.  That being said, I just could not put this book down.  Call me an uneducated American, but I had no idea about orphan trains and I was fascinated with this story.  The bounce back and forth between the past and the presents was seamless, Vivian and Molly were both well-written characters, and although the ending was a bit syrupy sweet, I was expecting it and it was just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment