Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Elevation by Stephen King


38507982
2 Stars

Elevation isn’t what you would typically expect from someone known as the “Master of Horror.” It is, however, most definitely a story you might expect to hear from your favorite relative – Uncle Stevie. Simply put, it’s a puff piece. A little feel-good story about not judging books by their covers and finding a higher plane (either figuratively or perhaps in this case quite literally).

Back in the olde days of yore this probably would have been nestled somewhere in a collection of other novellas rather than being released as a solo work. The lack of quality wouldn’t have been as noticeable because the quantity would have made up for it. If you have a great library system like me or are a King completionist, it’s worth the little time it will take to read. If you’re neither of the above, you might want to jump into your time machine and listen to some Depeche Mode instead . . . .
People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you
So what could I have done

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand




Sidenote: Am I the only person who finds it strange that King felt the need to narrate this himself or that bookpushy “blog” posts have become commonplace from his people . . . .



WTF? We aren’t called Constant Readers for no reason, dude. If you write it, we will come. Save the spammy self-promotion for the “Pumpkin Farmers” and overpriced self-pubbed authors of the world.

EDIT: No comment regarding this winning “Best Horror” in the Goodreads Choice Awards.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read Elevation but, as an Almost-Constant Reader, the current marketing shift to shamelessly unnecessary Stephen King self promotion is surely publisher-propelled...I hope. When I look at all of his five decades long career, (minus these last few years) such a move seems completely out of character😏 for Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete