Monday, November 5, 2018

French Exit by Patrick DeWitt


36300687
4 Stars

“What’s the opposite of a miracle?” Frances sat upright in her bed. “How many letters?”

As soon as I started French Exit it seemed very familiar to me. I went perusing my friends’ reviews and discovered Sam had experienced the same sort of déjà vu . . . .



And that should be enough to let you know if you want to take a roll of this dice with this one. There are no “sort of” Wes Anderson fans (and if anyone tries to tell you they “kinda” like his movies you should (1) ask them to name three of them as a test and (2) then cut them out of your life before they tell you a lie that’s actually harmful). The story here is of Frances, her son Malcolm and a little fella called Small Frank. Frances and Malcolm have lived high on the hog in the Upper East Side forever, but are being forced to change their lifestyle due to lack of funds . . . .

“What did you think was going to happen? What was your plan?”

“My plan was to die before the money ran out. But I kept and keep not dying, and here I am.”


This is a book that will constantly have you saying . . . .



But, if you’re like me, in the best way imaginable. Sam’s review points out that Frances and Malcolm may remind readers of another impossible-not-to-love mother and son duo . . . .



Which is pretty spot on.

I can’t tell you who I think would like this book. I just know I did . . . .



(And the fact that Sam did is pretty much like seeing a unicorn in real life so you might want to add it to the ol’ TBR just in case.)

No comments:

Post a Comment