Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory


9466865
5 Stars

“You’re not like the rest of them, Stony. Maybe it was the way you were born. But you’re different. You’re more . . . human.” 
Dear Daryl Gregory . . . . . 



I stumbled upon this author a few years ago when everyone was raving about We Are All Completely Fine (followed up by a library copy of Harrison Squared since (1) it featured the MC from We Are All Completely Fine in child format and (2) I’m always on the lookout for YA to force upon my own children). I forgot all about him until Spoonbenders showed up (once again on NetGalley – seriously authors, get your shit out there so people start talking about it – unless your publisher finds someone to release a blurb stating your new book is the “next Gone Girl” – in that case buy a big bed so you can spread your bajillions of dollars all over it and roll around). Anywho, Spoonbenders hooked me with only the title and I didn’t put two and two together regarding the author until waaaaaay after I clicked the request button (or maybe not even until I was almost done reading the book – #oldladybrain). Same goes for Stony here. I had never even heard of this book until status updates from my pal Zombieslayer put it on my radar.

My finger has been hovering on the 4 Star button, but I can’t really figure out why I’m so anxious to deduct anything from this one. Well, except because . . . . 



I haven’t met a zombie I loved more since I ran across this fella in the back shed umpteen years ago . . . . 



And the story? REMARKABLE! While I’m sure there will be some comparisons to Warm Bodies simply due to the humanity factor, to me Stony was a (nearly) brand new take on things (and there was no romance sidestory to muck things up either, if that's not your idea of a good time). To begin with, Stony was a living dead who grew from baby to adulthood rather than the norm. I’m going to try and keep this brief in order not to drop any unintended spoilers, so let me just say not only do you get the story of Stony's (or Brother John, as he’s known to his family) upbringing, but when stuff and things happen which make Stony leave the comfort of the family farm where he’s been hidden his entire life you get to venture out into the real world with him as well. It’s there that he learns about the Living Dead Army, a potential leader who may seem familiar to many . . . . 



(Well, maybe more like the Gorton’s Fisherman, but you get the idea). Stony also discovers that due to his unique history . . . . . 



We learn that you can’t always trust everything you’ve always been told and you most definitely shouldn’t rely on the . . . . . 



And we readers get introduced to The Lump. Oh good golly Miss Molly The Lump!!!!!!!



Why has no other author ever thought about things like this before?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, I’m going to wrap it up here before I say alllllll the things about allllllll the things. If you’re a zombie aficionado, this one can’t be missed. And once again, to you Mr. Gregory (because I know I tend to be pretty vague): I’ll read anything you write . . . . . 



All the Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment