Tuesday, May 9, 2017

My Heart And Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga


18336965
4 Stars

“I will be stronger than my sadness.”
Thanks to all the hype surrounding Thirteen Reasons Why, teen suicide has become all the rage in YA. My Heart And Other Black Holes takes a different approach than the aforementioned bestseller – mainly in all of the ways that it doesn’t suck.

Allow me to introduce you to Aysel and Roman . . . . .



Both Aysel and Roman have been struggling with dealing with the aftermath of some pretty serious shit and have come to the conclusion that life is no longer worth living. Afraid of chickening out unless someone else is present to hold them accountable, the two meet on a website called “Smooth Passages” where people go to . . . . .



“If I have a boyfriend, his name is Death. And I’m pretty sure Roman is in love with him, too. It’s like a love triangle gone wrong. Or maybe it’s a love triangle gone right: we both get the guy on April 7.”

I’m at a loss for words on how much this little book touched me . . . . .



Not only did it tackle a very dark main storyline in a very not-so-dark type of way, but it did so with relatable characters and circumstances and never tried to minimize their very valid feelings regarding why they no longer wanted to live. Having Aysel and Roman both experiencing a situational type of depression rather than clinical depression made the story work and it worked without every trying to be emotionally manipulative. There was no magic potion that could cure their feelings, so instead it focused on the idea that . . . .

“Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.”

And it made me feel all the things. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment