Thursday, May 4, 2017

Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson


30037870
4 Stars

“It’s easier to keep an animal in a cage than to play with it.” 
My friend SUSAN’s review is what put Allegedly on my radar. When I took a glance at the synopsis I immediately was like . . . . 



I was correct. My enjoyment of this book comes as such a surprise that I find myself in fear of developing a serious case of word vomit and spoiling the entire thing with too much typey typey so . . . . . 



Yeah. That’s really what I need to do. I think I’ll let the book speak a little for itself. Meet Mary. She’s getting ready to turn 16 . . . . . 

“I was still in baby jail on my last milestone, my thirteenth birthday. They didn’t throw me a party then either.” 

Mary doesn’t reside in the “baby jail” any more. For the past three months she’s been living in a halfway house of sorts . . . . 

“Most of the crimes the other girls in the house committed are like that. Crimes of passion, “snapped” moments, and good ole-fashioned wrong place-wrong time situations. My crime was more psychotic. I was the nine-year old who killed a baby.” 



She’s about to discover she has another problem on her hands . . . 

“My period is now ten days late.” 

When Mary is informed that there is zero chance she will be keeping her baby as long as she’s connected to her crime, she decides it’s finally time to start talking . . . . 

“Alright, Mary. Now, just tell me everything that happened. From the very beginning.” 

And that’s where things start to get interested. And horrifying. And cringe-inducing.

If you like your YA to pack a punch, this is a must read. Reminiscent of another fan fave . . . . 



Allegedly is relentless and will keep your fingers flipping until literally the very last page. Fair warning, that if you’re an oldie but a goodie like myself you will most likely have a moment or three where you start talking directly to Mary or at the book in general with things like . . . . 



But trust me that it all makes sense in the end . . . . 



Solid 4 Stars. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment