Friday, December 5, 2014

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey

Elizabeth Is Missing
2 Stars
 
WARNING: I’M GOING TO SPOIL SOME OF THIS ONE, SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

I finished Elizabeth Is Missing all the way back in September, but never wrote a review. Those of you who know me are already aware that I’m always behind when it comes to posting reviews, but this one fell off the radar for a different reason . . . A reason I like to call the “meh factor.”

Commercial Photography
^^^^selfie of my reaction upon finishing this book^^^^

However, after having a conversation about this book earlier today I figured I might as well yak up some kind of nonsense to finally get this one off of the “read but not reviewed because I suck” list.

The synopsis is that Maud, an elderly grandmother, is falling victim to dimensia and has become a bit obsessed with finding her friend Elizabeth who has gone missing. In her state of confusion, Maud also begins to remember another person who went missing in her life decades ago, her sister Sukey.

Here’s the problem . . . it’s pretty obvious from the jumpstart that Elizabeth is NOT missing – she’s either in a nursing home or dead. Wasting TONS of pages and doing the ol’ wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey back and forth through different era narration in order to cover both Elizabeth and Sukey’s disappearances doesn’t work when half the book is wasted on such an obvious “mystery.” I also figured out the deal with Sukey super-early as well (but I read a lot of mystery/thrillers so this happens on the regular for me and might not for you). The blurb promised me this book would be “darkly riveting” – but unfortunately it was not. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this was nominated as a Best Debut on the Goodreads Choice Awards. If this is on your “to read” list (along with 500 other books, if you’re anything like me) I’d say bump it to the back of the line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment