Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes

Anatomy of a Misfit
4 Stars
 
Who here is tired of people using Mean Girls .gifs in their book reviews?

Commercial Photography

Well, tough shit ‘cause I’m gonna use a bunch of them.

Anika Dragomir is the third most popular girl in high school. Think of her as Gretchen Wieners . . . .

Commercial Photography

True Mean Girls fans are probably screaming that Karen Smith was probably the third most popular girl in school or something of the sort. Have no fear, Anika’s best friend Shelli is the Karen Smith of this story. She’s not stupid, but she’s totally a slut . . .

Commercial Photography

Ahhhh, don’t get so worked up Shelli. You own it and are delightful.

Both Anika and Shelli fear the wrath of one Becky Vilhauer – the HBIC who will ruin their high school years with vicious rumors should they ever dare to cross her . . .

Commercial Photography

Seriously. Becky makes Regina George look sweet.

On the outside Anika’s life looks pretty great:

“On the outside I look like vanilla pudding so nobody knows that on the inside I am spider soup.”

Which really means she is your average teenaged girl. She worries about not looking right, not dressing right, not living in a nice enough house, not having a nice enough family, and really not having nice enough friends (when you spend your days in fear of someone who calls you the “immigrant” because you happen to have a Romanian father, that isn’t hard to do).

When former loser Logan McDonough moves back to town and (as far as Anika is concerned) has morphed from geek to chic, she’s torn between protecting her status and maybe taking a chance with this loner . . .

Commercial Photography

I know, right? Social suicide.

Anika also finds herself as the target of Aaron Samuels Jared Kline’s attention.

“I’m not standing in line to defile myself with him like all these other girls . . . but . . . I don’t mind looking at him. It’s kind of like seeing Jesus in a tortilla or something.”

But is Jared legit, or does he just want Anika to be another notch on his bedpost? And what’s the real story with Logan? Is he as dreamy as he seems to be, or is he hiding deeper, darker secrets???

This little book sure wasn’t what I was expecting. Actually, I wasn’t expecting anything at all. None of my Goodreads friends have read it yet, I don’t even know how it ended up on my to-read list, and I really don’t recall requesting it from the library. But one day I booted up the old Kindle and there it was. I’m so glad I gave it a shot. Obviously I’m kind of a Mean Girls’ superfan, so I would have been perfectly content with a fun bit of fluff. And I wasn’t disappointed with Anika – her voice was brilliant, she was hilarious and she cracked up up. I had no idea this book would get deep and touch on actual issues, though.

“You get one chance. You get to do this thing one time and you don’t even know when it goes from swirling forward and around and around in circles to just a plain cold stop and nothing more. This moment here. This is all you get. Before you are part of the sky.”

What a surprise . . . and it was written so well. Highly recommended to all young adults – be they a Regina George or a Mathlete or a Janis Ian. Can we get some love for all the Janis Ian’s?

Commercial Photography

Girls like you kick ass . . .

Commercial Photography

Amiright?

Commercial Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment