Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Divorce Papers by Susan Rieger


1.5 Stars

NetGalley ARC – Thank you NetGalley : )

Sophie is a criminal law associate at a small New England firm who gets roped in to interviewing a potential high-profile divorce client when no one else is available. Sophie impresses the client at the initial meeting, that she is drafted to drop some of her criminal workload and handle the divorce case under the supervision of the managing partner. She now finds herself questioning her own relationships and up to her elbows in "The Divorce Papers".

This book had sooooo much potential. The characters all had potential and Ms. Rieger has a wonderful wit about her. Unfortunately, she let herself get bogged down in the actual PAPERWORK of divorce rather than letting the story tell itself through the characters. After working in a law firm all day, the LAST thing I want to do is kick my feet back and read financial statements, court filings, psych evaluations and custody documents. There’s a reason I’ve always stayed away from family law and all that mess just helped remind me. I picked up this book thinking it was fun and fluff. I enjoy books written in an unconventional style (using e-mails/memos/etc. to tell the story). However, rather than being an easy, lighthearted read, this book quickly turned into "How to Dissolve a WASP Marriage". Snooze!!!! If the 150 pages of filler legal documents would have been left on the editing floor, this rating probably would have been a lot better.

P.S. I am a stickler for name-dropping other books and then not delivering. "Where’d You Go, Bernadette?" was one of my favorite reads of the year. I’ve recommended it to nearly everyone I know. If you’re going to use such a runaway blockbuster as a comparison, the book better live up to expectations. This one doesn’t even come close.

No comments:

Post a Comment