Thursday, February 21, 2019

Unmarriagable by Soniah Kamal


39926661
3 Stars




Okay, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but I have read it a crapton, buy every copy I see at thrift stores and read every retelling/variation I can get my hands on. From general modernizations to gender flips to zombies to even the Hallmark variety . . . .



Because, come on, y’all know Christmas makes your homegirl be like . . . .



In my opinion, when it comes to P&P there is never going to be too much of a good thing. I mean, for real, this DOES. NOT. GET. OLD. . . . . .






(Colin Firth did Darcy so nice, they had to cast him twice. Ha – looky there. I’m a poet and I didn’t know it.)



EVER.

Unmarriagable is a modern-day Pakistani take on my old fave. The Bennetts have morphed into the Binats (but don’t worry, their mother is still one of the most easy to hate characters in the history of literature), Darcy has become Darsee, Bingley is now Bungles. Let’s just take a moment to appreciate Bingley as well, shall we . . . . .



Yum.

Where was I? Oh yeah, picturebooking. To date I have not met a P&P revamp that I didn’t like, so even though I got a little bogged down in the billions of characters (most with ridiculous names such as “Hammy” and “Sammy” and “Pinkie” and the aforementioned “Bungles”) and their way-too-detailed family histories, as well as the monotony of what everyone was wearing or eating, this was still an A-Okay way for me to kill time. YMMV, of course. Oh, and if you think I’m kidding about my addiction, please note I have not only Pride checked out from the library, but Ayesha At Least on the soon-TBR as well. It truly is a sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment