Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Lost Man by Jane Harper


40047304
4.5 Stars

Allow me to plagiarize my own idea from The Dry and use it again on this book . . . .

FADE IN: EXT. DESERT – DAY – ESTABLISHING – Aerial pan over Queensland cattle country in the middle of the dry season – the camera zoom narrows over the barren wasteland and comes to focus on a lone acacia, a headstone so battered by the weather only three numbers still can be read and a dead body who has succumbed to the elements. OPENING CREDITS ROLL

My initial reaction after finishing this????



Okay, that’s a lie. Immediately upon finishing I probably looked more like this . . . .



But once I was rehydrated I was totally like DAAAAYYYYYUUUUUUUM. I knew nothing about this one before starting aside from the fact that it was written by Jane Harper and it was a standalone. (No offense to Aaron Falk, but it takes a lot to get me to read past book one in the series and I just wasn’t feeling a continuation of his story would be super believable so I opted to take a pass.) I was also warned by my friend debra that there was a chance Mitchell would hate this one. However, debra also thought Mitchell was my husband at one point so I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one anyway. Dear debra, you are one of the best things to ever happen to Goodreads . . . .



Please never change.

But back to the book. Harper is a B.O.S.S. when it comes to the slow roller. You spend so much time getting to know the land and all the people who live on it – and I mean ALL about the people because their skeletons all bust down the closet doors to get out before this thing is over – that the what-happened-to-that-dead-guy-in-the-desert gets put on the backburner and you kind of don’t even care. Until the big reveal and then???????



Keep writing standalones, Ms. Harper, ‘cause you got a fangirl in me. 4.5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment