Monday, February 5, 2018

Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy

31449227
3 Stars

Ramona Blue proves the point that no matter what the story . . . .



I’m not going to waste a lot of time on this review because I’m pissed off at myself that I let a bunch of trolly internet strangers convince me to break one of my own rules and read the same author nearly back-to-back without some breathing room. I also have a case of the manflu so I ain’t gonna be as sweet as I normally am : ) Please note, however, that unlike all the 1-Starring trolls who jumped at the chance to say . . . .



I actually read this effing book. Now, I am the first to acknowledge that handing out 1 Stars for unread material is not against the Goodreads TOS so angry click all you want. I will say in this case?



There are countless books out there that actually intend to be offensive and people who believe that being gay or trans or Jewish or black or lord only knows what else is an abomination. This book is not one of them. If anyone would have bothered to spend two seconds before they started all the pearl clutching they would have realized the entire point of this story is that . . . .

“Growing up can change you.”

It’s not about lesbianism or Hurricane Katrina or any other hot button type of topic. It’s about Ramona Blue growing up and some things she learns in the process. Like about first love . . .

“I think that maybe she meant more to me than I did to her.”

Or antiquated thinking . . . .

“Sometimes ignorance is as dangerous as bigotry.”

Or how maybe sexual identity isn’t the only thing that is still considered “different” . . . .

“Maybe you haven’t thought about things like this before, because you don’t have to.”

And a handful of other lessons that proved even a “lesbian” with blue hair can be a pretty small-minded person . . . .



But perhaps the simplest lesson of all was . . .

“Real life is messy and complicated.”

This is a story with a very simple message . . . . .

“Life isn’t always written in the stars. Fate is mine to pen. I choose guys. I choose girls. I choose people. But most of all: I choose.”

It would probably be beneficial to everyone out there to embrace a little of Ramona Blue’s ideology rather than following the herd. After all you youngsters really should know best that . . . .



So why does this only get 3 Stars from me? Well, because Ramona Blue was kind of a whiny asshole whose story went on about 100 pages too long and I didn’t enjoy her much. Pretty simple.

Oh and don't even bother attempting to troll me on this. You'll be instantly blocked. Go rant on your own space just like I did here.

ORIGINAL "REVIEW":

 

No comments:

Post a Comment