Monday, June 26, 2017

The Wangs vs. the World


34873421
2 Stars

I really should have followed the advice of America’s favorite T.V. dad on this one . . . .



I just couldn’t help myself, though. I mean look at that cover. Adorable! And then when I discovered it was about not only one of my favorite things . . . .



But also about a super-rich family who lost all of their money and whose only hope to regain their fortune was by returning to China and laying claim on some old-but-not-forgotten land, I was hoping for something along these lines . . . .



Sadly that wasn’t what I ended up getting.

The Wangs vs. The World had a lot of potential. The patriarch, Charles, had “turned shit (or in this case urea) into two hundred million dollars’ worth of Shinola” by creating a cosmetics empire . . . .



Before losing his ass (and house, cars, jewels, clothes, you name it) due to a bad business decision. When Charles was presented as sort of a stereotype/cardboard cutout of a character, I wasn’t too concerned. I figured the story would focus mainly on his three children. Then I met them . . . .



And the son was even worse! An unfunny want-to-be comedian. #snore

The only saving grace was the stepmother, Barbra . . . .



Ha! I’m kidding. She was super blah too.

It’s a shame this book fell so flat for me, but it did. It’s probably a good practice that any time a publicity statement labels a book as “hilarious” said book actually contain at least some humor. If you’re looking for something over-the-top and funny, pick up Crazy Rich Asians instead. That one was a hoot.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you hate when a book doesn't live up to its cover? Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete