Monday, November 7, 2016

The Vacationers by Emma Straub

18641982
3.5 Stars

“Secrets are no fun for anyone. Keep that in mind.”
When my husband asked what I was reading about over the weekend, the answer was simple: Nothing. He followed up that response with, “uh oh so it’s a 1 Star book then?” I surprised him by saying no and here I am giving The Vacationers a solid 3.5. I still stand by this being about “nothing” when compared to most other books I read, but I remember a certain television show which I still watch whenever presented the opportunity that was about nothing as well . . . . .



I’m trying to figure out how this one even got on my TBR. Did the Goodreads spam generator pop-up put this on the feed awhile back???? I can’t think of what else would have made me put my name on the library wait list aside from those subliminal messages. Whatever the reason, I somehow ended up with The Vacationers on the first weekend where it was in the 60s rather than during the summer when I probably should have read it due to the fact that I spend my free time ingesting baseball field dirt rather than soaking up the sun at a place like Mallorca . . . . .



Even though the timing was off, I somehow still enjoyed this book (from looking at the 3.14 general GR rating I probably read it wrong). As I said, nothing awesomely dramatic or monumental happens in this story, but I still couldn’t put it down. What we have is the Post family’s vacation . . . .



Jim has been fired from his longtime magazine job for banging a co-worker. His wife Franny is left dealing with her feelings regarding this betrayal (and also non-refundable tickets). Daughter Sylvia is counting down the minutes until she escapes to college (especially since she’s become a social pariah with her former friends due to a drunken make-out session with nearly every boy in school). Son Bobby has some financial woes he’d like to discuss with the parents (if the parents can stop judging his significantly older personal trainer girlfriend long enough to listen). And poor Lawrence and Charles are trying to figure out if adopting a baby is the right thing to do when it seems dysfunction is inevitable at some point in time.

So there you have it. A book that takes place over the course of two weeks that is simply a snapshot of the goings on during that time period. This is most definitely not a book that will change your life and the characters are all pretty much unlikeable too. If you know me, that might explain why this worked for me when it failed for so many others . . . .


*shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment