Monday, November 21, 2016

The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin


25279165
4 Stars

"How can we be friends if we don't gossip together?  Just a little?"


To quote the immortal words of one Clairee Belcher . . . .



And if you really don’t have anything nice to say, you should probably go sit by Truman Capote.

If you take a peek at my bookshelves you probably would be a little shocked to see this being added to my to-read stack, let alone getting a 4 Star rating. You wouldn’t be wrong necessarily – I do need to give credit where credit is due and admit I read The Swans of Fifth Avenue because a co-worker asked me to. Buuuuuuuuut, here’s a little confession: I’m kind of obsessed with stuff like this. Not so much that I’m willing to weed through the trash in order to find the treasures without a firm shove from an outsider, but this era and those who were famous during it???? Keep on dropping those names, yo . . . .



I’ve also decided that presented the opportunity I’d like to come back as one of these marvelous rich bitches in my next life. I’ve done the poor thing, so now it’s time to see how the other half lives. I mean really . . . .



So about the book. This is the story of Truman Capote and the gaggle of “swans” he surrounded himself with as he rose to fame in 1950s New York. Specifically, it is about his friendship with CBS founder Bill Paley’s wife Babe . . . .



The story follows Capote’s ascent to high society beginning with Other Voices, Other Rooms (as well as various stage work) and a continual rise with Breakfast At Tiffany’s and In Cold Blood all the way through his fall from grace with the short story "La Côte Basque 1965" which appeared in Esquire magazine in the Fall of 1975.

It’s delicious in its gossip mongering and I ATE. IT. UP. . . . . .



#nomnom

Recommended to: Bitchy queens like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment