Friday, March 14, 2014

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

2 Stars
 
What if when this happened



the “mean girl” died, but didn’t go to that big ol’ malt shop in the sky?



What if her alarm went off and she woke up the day after her untimely demise? What if upon waking, she realized she was repeating the day she died. What if she died again - only to wake up the next day and find she was once again stuck in the same loop?



Sam only has this one day to do over. What can she change? About herself? About her friends? Her boyfriend? Her family? What would you do to make your last day on Earth perfect?

Round three of the “books guaranteed to make you bawl your eyes out” project and I failed, yet again. I was asked by a co-worker why I was reading so many “children’s” books and I told her screw off



But even as cool as I am, I was really have a rough go of it with this one. I gave up the dream of getting emotional and had a little drink with my new pal David Hasselmouse instead.



Once we were half in the bag, this book became much more enjoyable. Whether intentional or unintentional, chapter after chapter brought awesome movie images to my head. Yes, I am the twisted psycho who was amused by the story of the dead teenaged girl. From the obvious “Groundhog Day” and “Mean Girls” mentioned above to glimpses of the sheer genius that is “White Chicks” in the oft-repeated “cruising to our favorite hot jam” scene



to cheating, scumbag boyfriends and giant house parties



to one magical kiss



this book ended up being okay (if you have a heart, you’ll most likely find it to be wonderful). It would probably score 2.5 Stars from me, but I’m deducting points for it being waaaaaaaaaay too long and for the horrible cover art. I do tend to judge a book by its cover, and would generally pass one like this by.

No comments:

Post a Comment