Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

4 Stars

Rachel Chu has NOOOOOO idea what she’s getting into when she agrees to accompany her boyfriend Nick to his best friend’s wedding in Singapore. As professors struggling to make tenure in New York City, Rachel and Nick live a very modest lifestyle. Little does Rachel know that Nick’s upbringing was ANYTHING but simple. After stepping off the plane, Rachel finds herself tossed into a whirlwind of palace-like homes, private jets and haute couture – all with a man she’s starting to realize she doesn’t really know at all.

I don’t even know what to say about this book. I’m exhausted. I feel like I was a part of the wedding week from Hell. My sides hurt from laughing – it was absolutely hilarious. Take all of the pain/sadness/suffering that can be found in the works of Amy Tan and just flip the script. It was like a grown-up “Mean Girls” – set in Asia (Nick’s mother? Francesca? Ugh – AWFUL HUMANS!). Kevin Kwan really knows his opulence, and his descriptions of the lavish lifestyles of the various characters left me sometimes drooling in envy and sometimes ready to gag for the gaudiness. A remarkable debut novel with a cast of (pretty well-developed) characters as long as my arm. 4 Stars because I’m greedy with my 5-Star ratings and the last 100 pages lost a little of the mojo that had propelled the first three-quarters of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment