Tuesday, July 8, 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

5 Stars
 
I rarely go back and post reviews of books I read eons ago, but with today being the release day for the eBook version of To Kill a Mockingbird, I thought it was probably fitting.

This is the book. The one that turned me into a reader. The one that made me feel like I was oh-so-grown-up even though I was still such a little kid when I read it the first time. Harper Lee turned me into a book addict. She created characters I wanted to be (God, what little girl didn’t want to be an awesome tomboy sassmouth like Scout?). She created my childhood crush with Jem. She created the man of my dreams with Atticus Finch. She created summertime adventure and friendship and fun – and then she did something else . . .

She wrote something that made me think.



She taught me when I was just a wee little girl how important it is to celebrate differences and break the cycle of fear and hatred that was created by generations past.



She did it with brutal honesty.



Harper Lee wrote a book that has remained my favorite for 25 years with lessons that ring as true today as they did more than 50 years ago when it was first published.



Encourage your kids to read this book. Read it again for yourself. It’s so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment